Wednesday, March 29, 2006

So, what else is new Travis?

Lazy? Who isn't! Don't read the italicized parts if you don't need full explanations! And now, my Blog entry...


Well, it would seem that March 31st is my last day at the Centre of Excellence for Kids Who Can't Read Good. You see, my boss is leaving and "The Centre" is not wanting to replace him. I am his assistant.

As their last act as my employer, they've decided to drive me absolutely crazy with a Post Card & CD project. The idea is that The Centre has generated research on literacy amoung children in northern communities. So I'm designing a postcard that will be sent out to people on our mailing list with information about how to get the published research. When they contact us, we'll send them the journal along with a CD with some sort of database on it. I'm also designing the CD cover.

This project has been going on for about a couple of months now. There have been endless changes made to the postcard. There is always something else that one of the chefs wants to try with this soup. Everytime I print off a final product I'm asked to try to change something and these people don't realize that for some of these experiments I have to go into the original picture, play with saturation, brighten, selective colour, lighten, resize, copy & paste into the postcard template I made, resize, save for web, open illustrator, open the document, copy & past into postcard layout template, resize, print.

On Tuesday I thought we were done the postcard. But I got an email today saying that we need more changes because of how much "blank space" there is. Being a graphic designer who lives for and has learned not to fear clean, white space, I want to scream. I want to yell at these people, "Look, I can appreciate that you want this postcard to look as good as possible, but we've been spending two months on this postcard! Think of how much money we are spending on a postcard that people are either look at and either toss it or they are going to go through with getting the research." And the postcard looks good! It looked good a month ago! Now there's this huge panic to get it done because it needs to be done by March 31st.

Well, I meant for this to be a short post. Oh well.

Oh no. I just realized I've turned into one of those people who blogs about work.

More on all this later. Stay tuned!

1 Comment:

At 6:01 AM, Blogger shroomAzoom said...

Shroom's first rule for graphic designers...

This customer is not always right.

You're they "expert" who knows about balance and typography and whitespace and contrast and leading the eye and colour. Educate your client, they'll appreciate it.

This rule can be applied to any situation where you are the "expert" and your customer is not.)

Up, JBM!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home